Sunday, June 10, 2012

Upsides to the Down Economy/ What's Trending This Summer

Makings for the Easy Goat Cheese Appetizers


Today I want to let you know about What's Trending... for me. Cajun Shrimp by OPI nail polish is a beautiful orange shade my friend Lisa York turned me on to. I had a pedicure and choose an orange shade that looked good in the bottle (Bazooka in the Paparazzi Series by Esse) but when it went on my toes was BRIGHT orange, neon-like. Cajun Shrimp is a much more subtle shade and while I'm watching the French Open, it looks the color of the clay in Paris. Mais oui! I wrote a recent blog on freezing fruit, so froze some raspberries with the intent of using them in a smoothie, but when I had some champagne that wasn't quite cold enough, I had the idea to put them in my glass to serve as little frozen ras-cubes. Brilliant! The raspberries make the champagne fizz even more, cooled down my bubbly and turned it a beautiful rose shade. And when you're done with the drink, they make delicious apres-drink, champagne-soaked treats. Boozy bonus! I recently recommended the Kind Bar as a good energy bar to try. A tennis friend, Ellen, recommended Fiber One Chewy Strawberry P B & J bar as delicious, low in Weight Watcher Points and a way to make you "regular", so I shall try it. It has 110 calories, and 5 grams of fiber, 20% of the daily amount needed.
    One more thing I'm excited about- an easy appetizer I served last night while we watched the Belmont Stakes. I was looking for a way to use some goat cheese I got at Cotsco and came across an easy recipe online. Zeke and I went to the South Miami's Farmers Market and got some Fig and Nut bread, and Habanero Guava Jelly which I used to construct these, but regular sandwich bread and hot pepper jelly would work as well. Also, if you don't have parsley (I'm out in my garden), another herb can be substituted. I used mint to good results.

Easy Goat Cheese Appetizer

4 oz. goat cheese, softened
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup roasted pecans, finely chopped
2 Tbl finely chopped parsley
Hot Pepper Jelly
Sandwich Bread


Finished Product
Combine cheeses, pecans and parsley. Spread hot pepper jelly on bread, spread cheese mixture on bread and top with another slice of bread. Cut in half, if necessary. I just spread it on one side and ate it like that.

Brothers, I'm seeing raspberries!

No comments: