Thursday, June 28, 2012

Upsides to the Down Economy/ The Heat is On!

 I almost gave up this diet Monday. I had gone with my daughter AJ and neice Allison to the big Miami Heat Party for winning the 2012 NBA Championships. The party was fun, it was great being with AJ and Alli, but I was on "apple day" again, due to the scale being stuck on the same weight three days in a row. After the celebration, the streets were full of revelers, the public transportation packed and I had a headache. By the time I got home I was hot, sticky, cranky and sick of the whole diet thing. When my hubby walked into the den with a big glass of refreshing white wine, I really wanted to quit.

     "Should I just quit?" I asked him. "No," he said. I called my sister and asked "Should I quit?" Once again, "No, you look great."

    I was sick of being stuck at the same weight, even though I stuck to the diet perfectly and, frankly, sick of apples, but then I thought about the Miami Heat players. Last year Lebron James, Dwayne Wayde and Chris Bosh, "the Dream Team" was supposed to win the NBA championship, but they didn't. After that, by their own admission, they retreated into a cave, lay low and felt bad as people trash talked them for not living up to their potential. At the party at the American Airlines Arena, they all talked of this time and of coming back this year with Persistence, Perseverance and Sacrifice.  They had a goal, they kept their eye on the prize and they made it happen. It wasn't easy and they spoke of the blood, sweat and tears it took to hang in there, but hang in there they did and the result was : Victory! So, I'm going to hang in there. Congrats to the Miami Heat on their win and congrats to me. When I went to get weighed the next, the lady asked "Have you been really active this week?"
and when I asked why, she said "You lost six pounds this week. That's great." Then she gave me a shot of B12 for being such a good patient. If I'd given up, I never would have had that moment. Staying on a diet to see results is hard, no doubt about it. But most things that are worthwhile don't come easily, or without sacrifice.

No comments: