Wednesday, June 20, 2012

  I made some grilled shrimp for Father's Day and turned it into shrimp salad for lunch the next two days. I adapted an Ina Garten recipe for the HcG diet by used the grilled shrimp, with orange peel (one orange), a tablespoon of red onion, a tablespoon of capers, some chopped dill and the juice from half a lemon. The result was surprisingly good (I think because the shrimp already had a good flavor) and I barely missed the mayo. I stuffed the shrimp salad into a hollowed out cucumber one day and into a hollowed out tomato the next. This got me thinking about using vegetables as vehicles to carry foods and how, when I get out of this phase of HcG, I should think about using vegetables (as opposed to crackers) as surfaces to hold spreads and such. Sliced cucumbers work well for this- you could spread low fat cream cheese and top with shrimp or smoked salmon, and so do cherry tomatoes, which could hold piped low fat cream cheese, chicken or tuna salad or a marinated mozzarella cube, with basil. Other vegetables as vehicles could be mushroom caps, hollowed out peppers and lettuce leaves, wrapped around a protein. In addition to thinking about this, I went through my recipes and separated the healthy ones out from the rest and separated those into various categories. This way, once this phase of HcG is over, I'll be ready to go.
Here's a recipe for shrimp that almost works with the first phase of HcG (if you eliminate the OJ). You could also grill the shrimp, my favorite way to cook those pink little buggers.

Sicilian Marinated Shrimp

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 pounds shrimp, jumbo with tail on

In a large bowl, combine the citrus juices, garlic and salt. Whisk to combine. Add the shrimp, toss to coat and let marinate 5 minutes.
   Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Using a slotted spoon, remove the shrimp from the marinade and add to the hot skillet. Cook, stirring until they turn bright pink. Transfer to a serving bowl.
Makes 8 servings. 84 calories each

Shrimp salad in Tomato

Shrimp Salad in Cucumber Boats

Healthy Recipes

No comments: