Friday, October 9, 2009

The Nanny Chronicles/ The UN of Nannies

I've had about 8 people call for the position. Not exactly the line out the door from the scene from Mary Poppins, but a good start. The four that speak no English eliminated half my candidates. My husband answered the phone for one of the people that called, wrote down the number one a piece of paper in the kitchen that has now disappeared. Did Braid Lady find it and throw it away? The person called from work, so I really can't call her back. I interviewed one of the candidates yesterday. She's from Columbia (I've never had a Colombian nanny before) and was took care of little kids (infant and toddler). She seems sweet, but was more a Nanny than a housekeeper and when I asked her about ironing, she kind of gave me a blank stare. Not a good sign. Her reference said she is professional, flexible and a good cook. Her English was pretty good and she'd just come from yoga class, which leads me to believe she's happy and centered, although maybe I'm reading too much into the yoga class. I have another interview tomorrow with a candidate from California who has held many different jobs, from pre-school teacher to selling luxury cars. From speaking to her on the phone, she seems over-qualified which is a problem with the present Nanny (doing a job that she believes is beneath her). She didn't seem too keen on housekeeping and also seemed like she might talk my ear off, which is a drawback. It is an unfortunate reflection of the economy that there are so many professional people willing to do this kind of work. I may try out some of them while Braid Lady is gone- kind of a Clean Off. While cleaning is important, personality is even more so and I go more on combatability than references.

No comments: