Friday, February 12, 2010

Upsides to the Down Economy/ A Tough Job Market


According to a recent news report, there are now 6 people applying for every job opening available, as opposed to the 3 that were applying in December of last year. Chick-fil-A recently had a glut of eager job hunters applying for positions; their acceptance rate was lower than Harvard University. We keep hearing the economy is getting better, but these job stats do not support that claim. Personally, I know that in our family business, there was a deluge of job seekers for a recent opening; usually there's barely a sprinkle. I also have a friend, a brilliant lawyer who quit practicing to stay home with her kids, whose been looking for a job to make ends meet. So far, she has gone on two interviews and hasn't gotten either job, despite excellent qualifications. As for myself, I've applied to a couple of online writing jobs my friend has forwarded me from Craig's List. So far, no luck. My son told me I'd probably have to apply to about 30 of those positions before I get a job. He should know, as he's been writing for various websites for a couple years. So, I guess I have to put on my big girl panties, plaster a determined smile on my face and plow ahead until I get hired. In the meantime, an article I wrote (for free) was published on www.Gableshomepage.com. this week. That will have to do for now.

No comments: