Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Upsides to the Down Economy/ How to Become Really Rich


You've probably heard stories that go something like this: Little old lady (school teacher or laundress) lives a modest life, in a small house, then dies and it's revealed that she was actually a millionaire. It's a shock to all. In The Millionaire Next Door, Thomas J. Stanely examines the lives of the truly rich and determines that many people become rich, by not acting rich. Here are some of the things Millionaires have in common (and how I stack up).



  • Most (86 percent) don't drive luxury cars. I drive a 1998 Toyota Avalon. Nuff said

  • Most pay about $16 for a haircut. OK, I'm thinking these are men we're talking about here. I get my hair colored and cut twice a year at a fancy salon. It costs a fortune, but in between I go to Hair Cuttery.

  • Four in ten buy wine that costs about $10. That is definitely my style. If I can get it for even cheaper, so much the better. Cotsco is a great place to get decent wine at a good price.

  • In the US, three times as many millionaires live in homes valued under $300,000. Unfortunately, I am not in that category and it is one place where a lot of our money goes- not just in mortgage payments, but in taxes and insurance, electricity and water.

  • The #1 shoe brand worn by millionaire women is Nine West. Ann Taylor is their favorite clothing store. I have my share of Nine West shoes and can go Ann Taylor one better, by shopping at Ann Taylor Loft.

How did you do with this test? Now that we've gotten used to cutting back on luxuries to get us through this rough patch, it might be time to re-assess what we really need to make us happy. Maybe financial security feels better in the long run, than fancy vacations and nice cars in the short run. It's food for thought.

No comments: