Saturday, February 20, 2010

Cheap Wine Glasses/ Upsides to the Down Economy







Cheap wine glasses. I needed some for a dinner party since my husband and I seem to break wine glasses on a regular basis, even the very fine Riedel set we got free at a wine tasting. I googled "Cheap Wine Glasses" and came up with three different options. Walmart, where you can get 4 for $10 each. There is no Walmart near me, so that was not an option. Target, where you can get 4 stemless wine glasses for $20, or $5 each. I have gotten these before (they all got broken) and although I love the idea of stemless because they are easier to clean and less likely to get broken, I wanted something a bit fancier for dinner and plus there's that whole wine gets heated up when you hold it in your hand (like a brandy snifter) argument. We like our white wine served ICE cold, so that was a no go. My quest for cheap wine glasses led me to my final destination, Crate and Barrel, a store I love to walk around in just to get ideas for table decorations. "I hear you have wine glasses for $2", I said to the salesgirl, when I couldn't find them myself. "Let me check," she said and went to the computer and located them and showed them to me on the shelf. They were OK- short, squatty red wine glasses you might find in a French bistro but since I needed both red and white wine glasses, I opted for the Bordeaux at 3.95 each. These seemed less manufactured, thinner and nicer for drinking ze vino than the $2 variety. I got 10- so spent around $40. My quest for cheap wine glasses complete, I returned home victorious. So far, they are all intact. I know that won't last forever but when I break a few, I know where to go to get more cheap wine glasses. And now you do too.

No comments: