Monday, June 20, 2011

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Summer Fruit Salad



























Sometimes the best food, is simple food, done right. Alice Waters, founder of Chez Panisse in Berkeley, CA, takes the best foods in season and serves them at their peak. I heard she once served a radish on a plate with a bit of salt as an appetizer. Fruit, at its ripest and most delicious, is one of the culinary delights in this world. I recently made a fruit salad with watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple and blueberries, adorned with a simple syrup flavored with green tea. According to the recipe I used "all a fruit salad needs to make it sing is a simple syrup." Simple syrup is simple indeed. One cup of water, 1/2 cup sugar. Combine in a saucepan. Boil until sugar is evaporated. Cool. That's it. The part where it "sings" is how you flavor it. I put green tea flavored with pomegranate and lemon rind, but you could also use orange rind, mint, a vanilla bean, Earl Grey Tea (or Jasmine), rum or another liquor. Add the amount to taste. The secret to a good fruit salad is (duh!) good fruit. I heard that if the watermelon has a yellow spot on it, it will be sweeter. Melons should be heavy, the button should give slightly and it should have a fruity aroma when it is ripe. Pineapples should also be fragrant when you slice them. As for grapes, blueberries, cherries and the like, I always try to taste one in a bag before I buy them. There is nothing more aggravating than buying a bag of fruit that is sour! I scooped out my melon with a melon baller, sliced up the pineapple, added the blueberries last (they are the most delicate), tossed them all with the simple syrup and added chopped mint leaves. I even made a watermelon basket out of the melon. A long skinny one would have been easier, but my melon was short and stout so that's the basket I ended up with. Enjoy the fruits of the summer while they're at their peak.


"Papayas should never be refrigerated."

Alice Waters

No comments: