Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Play, Pray and Rest



School's Out For Summer! The Headmistress at my stepdaughter's school instructs the girls on every vacation to "Play, Pray and Rest". She also suggested that it was good advice for parents and I agree.



Play



Be a Kid Again. Watch a silly movie (or cartoon), blow bubbles, skip, jump rope, fly a kite, eat a Popsicle, walk in the grass with bare feet, watch the clouds float by, catch fireflies (let them go), sip lemonade, swing on a swing, giggle, do something just for the JOY of it.



Pray



Whatever this means to you. I read somewhere that "Thank You" is a very nice prayer and I agree. Being grateful for what you have makes life infinitely better. So whether you say a Hail Mary, Meditate or stick dollar bills in front of Buddha, connect to your higher power for an instant energy boost and guidance.



Rest



This is really hard for some people (not for me). Everyone needs to take a break from work, family, obligations now and then and just chill. Whether you do this by watching The Bachelorette, or by reading a mindless romance novel is up to you. Or you could turn off the TV, put down the book and revel in the silence that DOING NOTHING brings.


As for me, I am playing on a tennis team, bought a hula hoop to work out with and am going to watch Wayne's World, even though it looks stupid. I am going to try and meditate more, practice yoga more and write three things I am grateful for each day for my praying. As for rest, it's not really a problem for me, but I am going to try to stop worrying and thinking about things as much as I usually do, because even though my body's resting, if my mind is racing, I end up mentally exhausted.






No comments: