Saturday, June 11, 2011

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Mango Madness







Mango Madness has hit Miami again. Mangoes go in cycles. Last year was the slow year, so this year they are going crazy! Although I don't have a mango tree, I've gotten lots of mangoes from friends. I can only eat so many mangoes a day, so I've pureed some of them and frozen the puree in an ice cube tray. One of my favorite breakfasts these days is a recreation of a smoothie I love at a local smoothie shop, called Aveena Appeal. It has oatmeal, skim milk, yogurt and protein powder and my version (with a few mango ice cubes) tastes pretty darned close to the original. There are many recipes for mangoes- from ice cream, to mango crisp, chutney and even Bar-B-Que sauce. Here's one for mango bread that is quick and easy. I made a loaf to give as a birthday gift for a party tonight.



Mango Bread



1/2 c. unsalted butter, room temp

3/4 c sugar

2 eggs, room temp

2 c. flour, all purpose

1 tsp. baking soda

2/3 c. diced mango

1 T. lime juice

1/2 c. nuts, (walnuts or pecans) toasted


Preheat oven to 350. Grease a loaf pan. Cream butter and sugar together until light. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing thouroughly. Combine dry ingredients together and beat into butter mixture. Fold in mango, juice and nuts. Put batter into greased loaf pan and bake 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes in pan, then turn onto rack to cool completely. Yummy served with cream cheese or butter.

No comments: