Monday, November 9, 2009

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Smell the Cheese







"Don't be pennywise and pound foolish." Did Ben Franklin say that? At any rate, don't be as stupid as I was last week. Took a long awaited trip to Orlando to visit a friend in my 11-year old Toyota Avalon, not-so-affectionately named the "Grannymobile". (So named because it smelled like Granny, my husband's mom.) We bought the car after she died. Ignored trouble signs like billowing white smoke that erupted every time I started her. I had gotten her Super-lubed and the tires aligned recently, so I tried to convince myself she was ok. Ignored that little inner voice that told me to get a tune-up and plowed on to Orlando. Until... halfway to Orlando. The Grannymobile started to feel different, then there was a loud explosion where it felt like something flew out of the bottom of my car, it started decelerating and I eventually came to a stop on the side of the Florida Turnpike. I called AAA, was towed to a garage where they sponsored kids who raised and sold pigs. They concluded my engine melted, threw a piston and, blew out the oil pan. I asked "Is that is bad as cracking the block?" "It's worse than cracking the block." was the answer. So the Grannymobile is D.O.A. Had it towed to Miami, rented a car and drove on to Orlando. So instead of paying for a simple tune-up, this cost me: $55 to be told it was dead, $200 for towing and $140 for the rental car. Not to mention the cost of: either a new car or a new engine. Morale of the story: Don't be stupid like I was. Pay the money to have your car tuned up regularly, or at the very least stop off at a service station where they can check your car out before you head out on a road trip. And may the Grannymobile Rest In Peace.

No comments: