Saturday, November 14, 2009

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Glimmers of Hope


I was in Starbucks today and it was packed. Could this be a sign that the economy is improving? Starbucks had been having a hard time as people gave up their $2 coffee a day and started brewing at home. Perhaps Starbucks is a barometer of economic strength. According to my son Brad, they do a lot of research in neighborhoods before they decide to open a store. So if there is an iffy neighborhood "in transition", and a Starbucks moves in, it's a good sign. Although I usually make my own coffee at home, sometimes I'm on the road, want to try a new type of coffee (this time it was Thanksgiving Blend) or just want to treat myself. I read in the paper that Americans are getting a little tired of saving and depriving themselves over this extended period of economic hardship and are beginning to open up their purse strings a bit. Apparently they've opened them up and bought themselves a cup of coffee (or hot chocolate or chai).

No comments: