Friday, November 27, 2009

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Experience a Cruise


Some of the best gifts I've received haven't been physical objects that end up collecting dust, but experiences I will treasure forever. About nine years ago, my parents gave us a Disney cruise for Christmas. Being able to have our family together on a vacation- and spend time with my Dad who died from lung cancer two years later- was a gift I will never forget. We had a great time. For my 40th birthday I took my first cruise- on Costa- with my sister around the Mediterranean. I had never been to Italy before and we went there, as well as Tunisia, Africa, Barcelona, Spain and Marseilles, France. How do you put a price tag on going someplace you've never been before and experiencing different cultures and people? For Christmas this year, my sister Kelley is taking her kids on a cruise. This will be their only gift and a gift to my sister as well, since her shopping for them is done. Cruises are at all time low prices right now so what better time to cruise? When you factor in the fact that you have room, board and entertainment included on a cruise, it's one of the best bangs for your vacation buck. My husband and I are going on Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Sea's inaugural voyage where they christen the ship. It cost $500 but was a donation for Make a Wish foundation and a gift for my 50th birthday. It's only one night, but in the words of the Four Seasons "Oh, What a Night!" Can't wait and will report back on my findings.

No comments: