Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Play Tennis


Play tennis! Well, it doesn't have to be tennis, it could be another raquet sport or even softball or basketball. It's great to get outside in the fresh air and have the physical and mental challenge of participating in a sport. If you are on a team or have a partner, you also have the camraderie and support of fellow athletes having a good time. Tennis is a great way to get some exercise (even better if you play singles), get away from the everyday worries of life, and relieve stress. All you have to focus on for a couple hours is that little yellow ball! My teams have gone through a lot of major life challenges- divorce, death of a spouse, breast cancer, losing custody of a child, but through it all we have been there to support each other. My mother and I were partners (until she got injured) and when my teenage son and I had nothing we could agree on, we could go out and whak the ball around. There is joy in hitting that perfect shot, so much so that I sometimes dream about them in my sleep. When life has so many things you can't control, it's a relief to be able to go out and just have some fun.

No comments: