Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Meet a Star




Have you ever gotten the feeling that you should just go someplace, or do something, even though you didn't know why? I had that feeling in 1992 when I went to Mass (even though it wasn't something I normally did) where I met a couple who'd just returned from spending 66 days stranded at sea on a sailboat. I interviewed them and that article turned into my first published article in Catholic Digest. Anyway, I had that feeling the other night; that I should go to this book signing for Carl Hiassen, a mystery writer and columnist for the Miami Herald. If you bought the book, the admission, which included wine and appetizers, was free. I went a little early and ended up talking to this couple in front of me. She's a cookbook author who has a column in the Miami Herald that I've been reading for years and he is the executive editor of the Miami Herald. After I googled him (to find out his official title), found out his brother is a movie director, and his nieces and nephews, Jake and Maggie Gyllenhall! Although that didn't come up in the conversation, we did know a lot people in common and had a nice chat about food, films and Miami. The food was from Whole Foods (shrimp, arepas, empanadas, cheese and fruit) and they also had Shiraz and Chardonnay to sip while waiting. Carl Hiassen ended up speaking an hour after schedule but, Dave Barry (another Herald columnist and funny guy) was
in the audience, taking photos with fans. It is always a treat to see him. I waited in line to get my book signed and went home feeling satisfied and wondering what fate has in store for me from this chance meeting. I know what this Labor Day weekend has in store for me: reading Star Island.

No comments: