Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Upsides to the Down Economy/ The Dirty Dozen


I was at a football game the other day and we were sitting next to this guy who got drunk and became my husband's best friend. You know the type. Anyway, he's a lawyer in Miami but owns a vineyard in upstate New York and was telling us about his wines and how good they are, blah, blah, blah and how he's not quite organic, but almost and how other vineyards spray ALL kinds of pesticides on their grapes and he's convinced that's why everyone gets cancer these days. Well,... it got me to thinking about how that lovely glass of straw-colored liquid I love to sip might be more like a cup of poison these days, than the elixir of the gods in the past. I drink a fair share of wine (ahem), and that got me thinking about grapes, one step closer to the source. Imported grapes are at a much greater risk of contamination than domestic, since there's not as much regulation. Vineyards can be sprayed with different pesticides at different growth periods, and no amount of washing or peeling will eliminate the contamination. So, while I hate spending extra money on organics, some things (like your health) are more important than cold hard cash. Here is a list of the dirty dozen- the fruits and vegetables you should buy organic. They are chosen each year based on the number of pesticides used on them and how easily the chemicals penetrate the skin. I try to cut this list out and keep it in my purse as a reference when I shop for groceries.

2010 Dirty Dozen

1) Celery

2) Peaches

3) Strawberries

4) Apples

5) Blueberries

6) Nectarines

7) Bell Peppers

8) Spinach

9) Kale

10)Cherries

11)Potatoes

12) Grapes


If you want one of these fruits or vegetables, but can't get organic because it's out of season, consider an alternative. As a bonus, fruits and vegetables are usually much tastier when bought in season. So, carry this list around with you and I will toast "Salute" to you and your health. With a glass of organic wine, of course!



No comments: