Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Nature Rocks

    The other day I went for a run through my neighborhood and saw: a rainbow in a sprinkler, a monarch butterfly and a beautiful half moon in the morning sky. It left me with one feeling: Nature Rocks! Nature also heals, why else do we retreat to the mountains or the ocean when we are in need of a break? I used to ride my bike down to The Point, when I was growing up in Gables by the Sea, to watch the waves crashing up against the shore and to think. Now I walk around my neighborhood or go out to my garden. Today, while I was run/walking, I saw the amazing Royal Poincianas in their full glory and smelled a delicious flower blooming (I also saw a dead snake on the sidewalk). That's the other thing I love about nature- it's a different show every day and it's completely free and available to all. Last week, there was a male and female cardinal hanging out in my front lawn. When I went a couple days ago, they were precariously close to my front door, hopping along. I thought it strange they were so close, until I saw a little, teeny, baby bird sitting there as well, chirping. It looked like they were searching for food for their baby bird. Just around this time, a stray cat I've been feeding showed up. I shooed it away and, luckily, disaster was averted. I have not seen them around since, so nature teaches us to Carpe Diem, because what's here today may not be here tomorrow. Gather ye rosebuds while ye may, and all that jazz. Someone recently sent me a list of advice from an 80 year old woman and one of her nuggets of wisdom was to spend some time outside every day. Luckily, it doesn't have to be a mountain retreat, or a beach house. Your front yard will do, and who knows? You might see some cardinals and their baby bird.

   Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished. Lao Tzu

   I think it annoys God if you walk by the color purple in a field and don't notice. Alice Walker

   The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where
   they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God.  Anne Frank

No comments: