Friday, May 11, 2012

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Kentucky Derby Party

   I had the idea to have a Kentucky Derby Party for a while and turned it into reality last Saturday night. For some reason, "The Greatest Two Minutes In Sports", the horses, the Roses, the Mint Juleps and the first Race of the Triple Crown seems so romantic (and exciting) to me, I wanted to have a party to celebrate it! Southern food ruled- so I made cheese straws, pickled black eyed peas (also known as Texas Caviar), deviled eggs, and spiced bourbon pecans for appetizers. Friends brought a hot crab dip and corn dip and I served Mint Juleps (of course!), lemonade (with Vodka to spike) and Iced Tea (to mix into Arnold Palmers). Five to Six was Mint Juleps and betting. I made little tags with the horse's name, number and colors and hung it on a branch to pick as you walked in, with safety pins to attach it. It was fun to see how people bet. Some bet on the number, some on the name, some on the color of the horse, some on the color of the jockey's silks. I bet by name- "Daddy Long Legs", while my hubby voted for "I'll Have Another."  Ladies, of course, were invited to wear hats and I decorated with red roses, since The Kentucky Derby is "The Run for the Roses". Most of the ladies wore hats and we sipped our Mint Juleps and chatted until the race began.



   We all gathered around the TV in the Family Room and cheered on our horses. My horse, a long shot actually got to #3, in the beginning. Zeke's horse shot ahead at the end to win, so he won the $200 pot (it was $10 a horse). Daddy Long Legs (my pick) finished last! Oh well. We all ate Burgoo, a typical stew served at Kentucky Derby and Bar-B-Que Pork with coleslaw, potato chips and corn bread (my sister Kelley brought), with pickled onions, jalapenos and pickles on the side. Dessert (for those who had room left) was Hummingbird Cupcakes, Derby Pie, Strawberries with Whipped Cream Sugar Cookies in the shape of hats with Royal Icing. Everyone left around 8 to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Until Next Year-

No comments: