Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Upsides to the Down Economy/ New and Old T.V. Shows



Wednesday night is my favorite night of T.V. Why? Well, let's start with The Middle at 8, move to Modern Family at 9 and Top Chef on Bravo at 10. Absolute Heaven! The Middle is probably my favorite show on T.V. right now. It's about a middle class family, set in middle America with children who probably resemble our own, more than those "My child is an Honor Student", eagle scouts, scholar-athlete offspring, those perfect PTA mothers tout. My friend Martha is convinced most of American families are like The Middle. I think The Middle is better this season than ever and is just hitting it's stride. The episode where mother Frankie eats son Axel's toenails (by mistake) was hysterical. I actually am enjoying it more now than my former, favorite sitcom, Modern Family. My biggest letdown of returning shows has been 2 1/2 Men with Ashton Kutcher. While it has its moments, it's just not the same without Charlie Sheen. Even though I felt the pill-popping, hooker-loving, lush character he portrayed had probably run it's course, I didn't realize how much I would miss him in that role. As a tennis friend said "It's like they're trying too hard." Indeed.


Another show I would put in that category is Two Broke Girls. While it is occasionally funny, it seems to try too hard in that self-congratulatory manner some sitcoms get when they've proved they are popular. It's not there yet. I found New Girl OK. Zooey Deschanel is charming, but they need to do more with the plot lines than rely on her personality. I am going to name Last Man Standing, with Tim Allen, as my favorite new sitcom of the Fall season. It's funny and bottom line, that is what a sitcom should be. I also like Tim Allen and the actress who plays his wife. Being a former flight attendant (with a Dad who was a pilot for Pan Am) I have enjoyed Pan Am on ABC Sunday nights, but agree with my friend Katy's assessment that it is "good, but not great". Evoking Mad Men in this drama is fine, but in Mad Men, the deep, dark secrets of Don Draper were hinted at in the beginning, and not revealed until a couple seasons later. In Pan Am, they're revealed almost immediately, leaving less of a character arc, and less mystery. Simply put, the writing isn't nearly as good as Mad Men and it's a fluffier puff of a retro show. Although I've only watched Revenge once (shown on Wednesday nights as well) I do have to say everyone left my Bunko Halloween party by 9:30 p.m. in order to get home in time to see it. That speaks volumes and it has that juicy, cliffhanger effect that keeps you coming back for more. It seems to be taking the place of juiciest new show you talk about around the water cooler, usurping Desperate Housewives (at least the first season) in that role. Having said that, I'm going to miss those Housewives when they go (last season) and I already miss Brothers and Sisters. Luckily, I have other shows to take their place. Best thing about all these shows? On T.V. and perfectly FREE!

No comments: