Saturday, October 15, 2011

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Is Sugar Evil?




OK, so I get a hot flash in the middle of the night, Google "Diets That Work", start reading one diet that says Sugar is Evil, Sugar causes Belly Fat, Sugar will sabotage your diet etc...and then the next morning I'm eating my delicious Activia with Fiber and take a gander at the sugar content and OMG! I knew it tasted too good to be healthy- 23 grams of sugar! And that's for a little teeny container. I started thinking about sugar and how my Organic skim milk tastes suspiciously sweet, so I looked at the sugar grams on that- 13 per cup. Sometimes I like to have a cold glass of skim milk before bed, but now I am thinking about the evil sugar attaching to my (growing belly fat) and it will not go down as smooth. The organic 2% milk has less sugar- 11 grams- and I am less concerned about it because I use it in my coffee, so don't use that much. So, I decided to check out my 2% Fage Greek yogurt, which is what I was eating before Activia and it has 8 grams of sugar per 7 ounces. The difference is, I usually only eat a third or half of a container (it is tart) and mix it with fruit, so that's only 4 grams of sugar, plus the fruit, versus 23 grams of sugar. A big difference.




Is sugar evil? I'm not sold on that, but I also don't think it's the healthiest thing in the world and it makes me feel bad, as in, when I eat it, I get a surge of energy, but eventually crash. The other thing is, if I'm going to have it, I want to know about it straight up, as in a delicious red velvet cupcake or homemade chocolate chip cookies. Don't sneak it into my "healthy" food, like Activia. I wonder what Jamie Lee Curtis has to say about that? Maybe it would make her Scream! The moral of this cautionary tale is: READ YOUR LABELS.

No comments: