Friday, May 13, 2011

Upsides to the Down Economy/ We May Never Pass This Way Again



As I was running yesterday I noticed the Royal Poincianas blooming along my route. They usually start blooming full force in June, but this year they're out early. They said the only thing that didn't go according to plan with the Royal Wedding was the fact they planted tulips to bloom that day, but they bloomed early and were no longer around. One thing (among many) we can't control in life is the weather. I went to visit a friend in college at William and Mary thirty years ago and I remember being so excited because I thought I would be there in the middle of the Fall Foliage. Unfortunately, a cold snap came early and there was only one tree left with leaves turning in downtown Williamsburg. My friend Chrissy brought me to see it and I have a photo of me sitting under that tree. Better one than none, I suppose. This got me thinking about #1 How some plants need a cold snap to get them blooming, which could be used as an analogy for life. Sometimes, something major needs to happen in our lives to get us to change course, seek new direction and bloom to our fullest. And I started thinking about how I was in Washington D.C. one year and the cherry blossoms were blooming, totally by chance. They were beautiful and I appreciated them. So lesson #2: if you are somewhere where the cherry blossoms, royal poincianas or tulips are blooming (or the fall leaves are turning) ENJOY IT, for "we may never pass this way again". I used to be a flight attendant for Air Florida and flew to Amsterdam a couple times, but for one reason or another, never made it out of the hotel room to go sightseeing. And, one day, just like that, Air Florida was gone and my visions of twirling windmills, creamy chocolates and blooming tulips were gone as well. So Carpe Diem! Seize the day , smell the flowers and all that jazz.

No comments: