Saturday, May 28, 2011

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Just Desserts













I remember hearing a story about Jackie O and a restaurant she would frequent. The owner always sent her over a tray of desserts after her meal and she would usually take a small bite and wave the rest away. After she found out she had cancer, he did the usual and she took a bite. The waiter came over to take the plate away, and this time she waved the waiter away with her fork, telling him not to dare take the desserts away- that she was going to eat every last bite of them. I was thinking about this, because I am on this diet and thinking about eating out and getting dessert and how usually only a couple bites will satisfy my sweet tooth, so why do I eat the whole thing? Like the old commercial said: "I can't believe I ate the whole thing!" And then I think about the Queen Latifah movie Last Holiday, where she thinks she is dying, so she orders everything on the menu at her hotel's restaurant. It turns out she's not dying, but my point is, I'm having a hard time reconciling the idea of "Live each day as if it's you're last" with living in moderation or, worse yet, deprivation. I think about Jackie Kennedy and how great she always looked- slim and chic- but realize it was not without sacrifice. So, is the choice, deprive yourself and look like Jackie O, or indulge yourself and look like Queen Latifah? Or, is the answer, as I am guessing, somewhere in between? As for me, I am planning on ordering Key Lime Pie down in the Keys and splitting it with my hubby for our 7 year anniversary. I guess you have to do what you can live with, right?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

make the key lime pie for everyone else to eat, i pick jackie o