Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Upsides to the Down Economy/ More Gratitude, Less Attitude



I was looking through a photo album of Air Florida memories on Facebook last night, and saw one photo with the caption "Last flight with Air Florida." I was a flight attendant for Air Florida from 1980 to 1984, and for the last two years we had heard rumors of insolvency and doom and gloom. I remember a friend of mine pronounced the end was near when we switched from serving Tropicana orange juice, to Donald Duck. At any rate, we heard about it for so long my friend and fellow flight attendant Lori and I, took the attitude "What the f***?" Maybe not the best philosophy, but you can only live with the execution's noose dangling over your head for so long, before you give up and stop caring. My last flight (which I didn't know was my last flight at the time) was uneventful and pleasant, and I flew with a girl from my training class. Would I have appreciated it more if I knew it was my last? Absolutely. So what if this was your last day on earth and you knew it was? Would you appreciate every little thing, from coffee, to a nap, to your husband's snoring? Would you appreciate your job, school, family, friends more? My son's friend Woody broke his neck in a Rugby game two weeks ago, and is now in a hospital room, unable to move his legs. He has always been an optomistic person, full of life, and we are hoping and praying for a full recovery. But as I was driving home tonight, I gave thanks for being able to breathe, to walk, even to drive my car in traffic that I hate. The fact is every day is a gift and we should live each day with gratitude for whatever happens- good, bad or indifferent- because it is all part of our journey.

2 comments:

Rollin99 said...

Whenever anyone asked “how ya doing”, I respond, my heads up and I'm breathing. People seem to enjoy this unexpected response. I relate it to a memory of falling in nannas pool. After being rescued; thanks godmother. Everyone, but me, assured me that I was swimming. “I sinking” “I sinking”

Allie said...

This was beautifully written. Thank you gina!