Friday, February 25, 2011

Upsides to the Down Economy/ AMC Best Picture Showcase


Every year I try to see the films nominated for Best Picture for the Academy Awards. This hasn't usually been a problem in the past, since there were only five films nominated. Last year, however, in an effort to honor more diverse films, the Academy upped the number to ten. This was more of a challenge! Last year, I walked, many days, to Sunset Place (can't deal with the parking there) to see the movies nominated. This year, I have seen seven of the nominated films and Netflixed two more. There is only one film I will not have seen by the time the Oscars air Sunday night, and that is 127 Hours with James Franco. The only place it's playing is hours away and it's not available on Netflix. AMC is offering a showing of the 10 nominated films, on two successive Saturdays. The first one was last Saturday, February 19th, the next one is tomorrow, February 26th.
It is $35 dollars for a one-day pass, $60 for a two-day pass and $50 for a 24-hour marathon with all ten movies! In addition, you get a $10 AMC gift card for one day pass, or $20 AMC gift card for two day pass, to be divided between days, that can be used at the concession stands. I think this is a great bargain, since you usually pay $10 per movie. With this deal, you're getting five movies for $35 ($7 per movie), plus $10 for the popcorn and soda, essentially bringing your movie down to five bucks. Individual movies are also able to be seen, is some cases. Alas, I missed my window of opportunity, since 127 Hours was shown last Saturday. I guess I will just have to miss the story of the mountain climber (played by the so darned cute James Franco), who cuts his arm off in order to escape certain death. As for me, my money is on The Fighter for Best Picture. It's a long shot, but I'm a sucker for the underdog and if Christian Bale doesn't win for Best Supporting Actor, I'll eat my hat. Here's the website for info on the AMC deal: http://www.amctheatre.com/Script.

No comments: