Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Hope Springs Eternal in a Garden







I know it's freezing in most parts of the country, but here in Miami, my garden is in full swing! Each year I try to plant something new, to see how it does and to have something to look forward to. Tomatoes and herbs are staples in my garden and this year I purchased three different types of tomatoes at Fairchild Tropical Gardens- Persimmon, Mortgage Lifter (loved the name) and one other I forget. I believe Persimmon is named that because the tomato is the same color as that fruit, and Mortgage Lifter grows into HUGE tomatoes. The herbs I have growing are basil (partially eaten by snails), dill (it's going crazy), mint, chives, cilantro, sage and thyme. I also have a few pepper plants- jalapeno, serrano and habanero. Last year I planted peas and they were so cute, I planted them again, along with an eggplant. Last year my eggplant got eaten by something, but I am trying it again. In a garden, hope springs eternal and it's your own miniature landscape to watch evolving. The first thing I do each morning, is go out and check my garden. New this year is a strawberry plant. I got a good deal on the pot at Target, so decided to try my hand at the red beauties. Snails have been a problem, so I've tried every remedy (organic) I could find- crushed eggshells (it cuts the snail's flesh), coffee grinds (it dehydrates them), beer in cups (they drowned in it) as well as picking them off and flinging them away. My son Christopher (who used to shish kabob lizards as a child) says I am cruel to use these methods, so lately I have been coexisting with the snails who congregate around my chive plant.

As an addendum to my lip balm report, my daughter A.J. tells me THE BEST LIP BALM is one I gave a so-so rating to- Neutrogena. It's the only one she uses and says a girl she used to work with that had Lupus, used it because it was most effective. The ones I like- Blistik and Burt's Bees- contain camphor and menthol, two ingredients which dry out your lips. So as Rosannadannadana used to say, "Oh well... Nevermind."

No comments: