Friday, November 19, 2010

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Where to Find the Cheapest Checks


Does this scenario sound familiar? You go to write a check somewhere and suddenly realize you're down to your last couple checks. Panicked, you call the bank and order more and maybe even put a rush order on it, resulting in beaucoup bucks! Unfortunately, this usually happens to me. Despite my best intentions (usually when I get the "STOP! Time to reorder your checks!" notice in my box of checks) I typically don't do anything about ordering checks until I've run out.
This time, however, I was determined to do better and to find out how much my procrastination was actually costing me. Of course, I researched it on the internet and read that Cotsco (the subject of other gleesganders posts) cost 50% less than regular checks. That's quite a savings! I thought it would be a pain to have to make the trip to Cotsco, but you can actually order online and they are delivered to your door. I did run into a snag after I ordered them, where they needed a cancelled check or to talk to my bank in order to place the order. Once I got that resolved (it took a week before I was notified of the glitch) it definitely did save me money; I got 500 checks, so I'm good to go for awhile! Here's how the check comparisons broke down.
1) Checks Unlimited
You see the fliers for this company in your newspaper and they were voted #1 for checks direct by Equifax. Selection of checks is good with designs featuring Disney, Dogs, Wizard of Oz etc...
1 box of singles (125 checks) is $5.50 but this is only for 1st time orderers. 2 boxes is $11.00.
Takes 2-3 weeks and can be ordered over the phone or on the Internet. Free Shipping and Handling.
2) 4 Checks.com
Another flyer company, this one offers over 800 designs (if that is important to you), including the scenic landscapes, I Love Lucy, religious designs and College Team Logos.
1 box of singles is $6.95 but the second box is as low as 10 cents, so if you're going to order more than one box, this is a better deal than the above. Free Shipping and Handling.
3) Checksconnect.com
This is where I usually order my checks from, the company my bank uses. As I suspected, I was paying a lot for my laziness! Although they said it depends on my financial institution, it is normally $20 for 150 checks. Rip off!
4) Cotsco
The clear winner! I paid $13.18 for two boxes of checks-totalling 500 checks, which comes to about $3 a box. They didn't have a big selection of designs to choose from- I got a Monet painting, but it sure did save me MONEY, with or without the French accent. Ooh La La!

No comments: