Monday, November 29, 2010

Upsides to the Down Economy/ The Many Wonders of Cabbage


Cabbage. At 89 cents a pound, a head of cabbage purchased for about three bucks can go a long way. I made coleslaw, to go with our barbecue dinner the other night, but since my husband and I are the only ones who eat coleslaw in the family, I have more than a half a head left over. I can stretch it into two more sides- braised with dill or stir fried with garlic, or incorporate it into a tasty entree. Ground Meat with Cabbage and Noodles sounds good or perhaps Unrolled Cabbage. It's also a welcome addition to Minestrone soup and (just in time for flu season) an excellent source of vitamin C. There is something comforting and homey about cabbage and, as a bonus, it has quite a long (refrigerator) shelf life. Here is my recipe for coleslaw. It's really good.


Coleslaw Serves 6


1 large head of cabbage
1/2 cup finely diced or grated sweet onion
1 cup Low Fat Mayo (I like Hellman's)
1/2 cup Buttermilk
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup sugar (or to taste)
1 tsp fresh pepper
1tsp celery salt
1 T poppy seeds

Grate or shred the cabbage as thin as possible. (I use a mandoline.)
In a bowl, combine the cabbage with the diced onion and all other ingredients.
Allow to sit one hour.

No comments: