Monday, November 15, 2010

Upsides to the Down Economy/ How To Be a Flapper







I recently attended a "Puttin on the Ritz" Gala where the dress was roaring twenties or fashionably attired. I've always loved that era of F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald so I decided to dress as a Flapper. I didn't want to buy a new dress, or (God forbid!) RENT a costume so I put on my thinking cap and came up with a flapper costume out of my own closet. With just a couple purchases (adding up to less than $10), I was transformed into Daisy Buchanan, or some reasonable facsimile. If you have a short black dress and a string of pearls, "You're In The Money!" I googled Flapper Fashion to get some ideas. I already had a short, black, loose fitting dress with asymmetrical hemline that fit the bill perfectly. I found some shoes that looked similar to the ones flapper's wore (velvet, closed toe), put it together with my long string of pearls (purchased at Target) and a cute clutch and voila! I was almost good to go. The only thing missing was a head band, so I bought some sequined stretchy fabric at Jo Anns (about 3 bucks) along with a bag of black feathers (2 bucks) to complete my outfit. I hot glued the headband together, inserted a feather and my outfit was almost complete. Short hair was in fashion (the bob) back then. so I tried to dry mine as straight as possible and of course, flappers need red, red lipstick. I wanted one that wouldn't wear off so I researched it on the computer again (how did I ever live without Google?) and found that Revlon's ColorStay Ultimate Liquid Lipstick (Top Tomato) would last all night. And it did- through sipping champagne, dinner and dancing. I had to use makeup remover a couple times the next morning to remove the final vestiges of it. I added a mink to my outfit, but a feather boa would do as well. Check out the results. I got a lot of complements and it was fun.

No comments: