Monday, August 9, 2010

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Miami Spice




August here in Miami means two things: it's so sultry and steamy that my compost heap is growing mushrooms and it's time for Miami Spice. Yipee! Miami Spice was dreamed up by the Greater Miami Convention and Visitors Bureau as a way to entice locals into frequenting South Florida restaurants during the typically slow months of August and September. For $22 for lunch, and $35 for dinner, you get a three course meal with an appetizer, entree and dessert. While there were some complaints last year about lackluster menus (with similar entree offerings of fish, steak and chicken), this year many of the participating restaurants have stepped up their game and added inventive, and pricey options to their menus. While paying a hundred bucks for a dinner for two may not seem like such a great deal in this economy, Miami Spice gives you the opportunity to eat a restaurants that are normally out of your price range. Choosing the right restaurant is crucial, as some deals are better than others. I took my son to China Grill for lunch a couple years ago and a lunch that would have cost $50 or so, was had for $20. This is also a chance to experience the master hand of great chefs in our area, like Michelle Bernstein (Michy's and Sra Martinez) and Scott Connant (Scarpetta at the Fountainebleau), both seen as judges on Top Chef. My husband and I decided to try Timo, an Italian-Med restaurant on Sunny Isles Beach, Saturday night and had a lovely meal. We stuck to the Miami Spice menu, ordered a $30 bottle of wine and got out of there for a little over a hundred; a splurge, but well worth it. I ordered the lamb chop with goat cheese potato gallete (delicious), but actually loved my husband's veal shank with Gorgonzola cheese and truffle gnocchi so much (with an actual shaved truffle!), we switched. Nothing stingy about Timo's menu! For dessert I ordered a chocolate, peanut butter dome thing, with peanut brittle candy and milk gelato. I was so happy with my mound of yumminess, I didn't even venture near his Key Lime Mojito tart. Why kill a good chocolate buzz? For my next Miami Spice, which I plan to pay for with the refund for buying my energy star dishwasher last April, my sights are set on Asian themed, and supposedly awesome Hakkasan at the iconic Foutaineblue Hotel. It is my own little (delicious) contribution to stimulating the economy. Someones got to do it.

No comments: