Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Make the Most of Your Massage


How to Make the Most of your Massage


  • 1. Schedule after you've done what you need to do for the day, like work or exercise. That way it will be a treat and you won't have to worry about the things you need to do.

  • 2. Try to do some light, body-conscious exercise like yoga or Pilate's. This will help stretch your muscles and get you in the right mindset for your massage.

  • 3. Eat lightly. Try not to schedule a massage right after a big meal. Sometimes I eat a "Spa" Lean Cuisine as my meal, to continue the healthy theme.

  • 4. Drink lots of water, before and after your massage. Drinking before helps hydrate your muscles and makes them easier to massage. Drinking after helps flush toxins out of your body. I bring my own, refillable water bottle because they use Styrofoam cups (horrors!) at my Massage Envy.

  • 5. Meditate. This really helps you focus your mind on your massage. So instead of going through your grocery list or thinking about your car needing to get Super-Lubed, you can concentrate on your arm, neck, back being massaged and how good it feels.

  • 6. Make sure you allow plenty of time to arrive at your appointment. The other day, I went with my husband for a massage and we were running late, it was pouring rain and we parked at a meter but had no change. I walked in frazzled, soaking wet and stressed. Not a good way to start my massage.

  • 7. Take a warm bath. I have a friend who is a massage therapist and she wishes she had room for a little tub in her space, so her clients could soak, relax and let their muscles loosen.

  • 8. Put a soothing CD in your car to listen to, on the way to, and from, your massage. Something like Enya, relaxing classical or a spa CD (they sell them at Target) will help set the mood for your massage. I played my Arizona Spa CD on the way to my last massage and enjoyed it so much, I've left it in. Chaos, traffic and road rage can be happening outside, but inside my car I have a tranquil sanctuary (except when the kids are in the car).

  • 9. Tell the massage therapist if you have any physical issues or if there is a place you want him/her to focus on. Likewise, if the pressure is too hard/soft let them know. The other day I went and she asked me if I wanted medium pressure or firm. I asked the difference and she said "Pain". I opted for medium. In this case, no pain is gain!

  • 10. Make a note if you have a particularly good therapist. Thank him/her for the massage, congratulate yourself on being good to your body and have a great day! Namaste.

No comments: