Saturday, June 26, 2010

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Keep a Gratitude Journal


What if there was something you could do that would improve your life immeasurably and it's absolutely free? The secret lies within your power, just like Dorothy's ruby red slippers. Here it is: find things every day to be grateful for. During an extremely difficult time in my life, I used to keep a "gratitude journal" where I wrote down five things every day that I was grateful for. When you set about your day SEEKING out reasons to be grateful, you have a more positive attitude and, as an added bonus, attract more good things into your life. You become a happier person, simply because that is what you've set your sights to look for. Some days, of course, the things to be grateful for - graduating from school, getting engaged, having a baby- are obvious. Other days, you may struggle to find things to be grateful for, but if you have: your health, a roof over your head and clean clothes on your back, that's a good place to start. Isn't being happy one of the main goals in life for all of us? Try this exercise and I can pretty much guarantee you'll be happier. Now that my life is more settled, I've gotten out of the habit of writing my five things down each night, but I think I will go back to it. Whether it's a good night's sleep, watching an exciting tennis match or sharing a nice lunch with friends (all things I have done today), being grateful for it makes it that much better.

"You've got accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative."

No comments: