Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Salty Dog Days





Have you seen the new bath salts, with all kinds of exotic ingredients, crowding the beauty aisles these days? While I love taking baths at the end of a long day (less calories than a glass of wine!) and salts are a nice alternative to bubble baths, it's not practical to do every day unless I want to keep an open account at Crabtree and Evelyn. My solution? I make my own mixtures. The easiest is using plain old Epsom salts, only a couple bucks at your local CVS. The extra advantage to this is if you play sports or exercise, Epsom salt (a 100% natural mineral), relieves stiffness and soreness. But plain old Epsom salts can be boring, so I like to kick it up a notch. Sometimes I stir in a couple drops of lavender oil, brought back from France by my stepdaughter Lauren. Other times I stir in a magic herb mixture purchased from my friend Veronica, that is supposed to be a cure-all for everything. It smells like eucalyptus. I also occasionally use herbs from my garden (mint for refreshing baths, rosemary for relaxing ones) thrown into the salts, which tend to soak up all scents easily. After making white wine sangria today, I was faced with the leftover ends of a lemon and a lime, so I threw them into the salts to marinate. You can get ideas from products you already have, such as the rosemary-mint shampoo by Suave on my shelf. After you make your special mixture (also a thoughtful gift) draw yourself a nice, hot bath, pour in some lovely, handmade salts, and enjoy. The only thing that could make this any better is some white wine sangria!

P.S. Don't use any alcohol based perfumes or solutions to scent your salts as it could sting your delicate areas.

No comments: