Thursday, June 10, 2010

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Best Summer Movies



Summer's here! Well, not really. It officially starts June 21st, but it certainly FEELS like summer and TV's now in re-runs so that means- SUMMER MOVIES! While I love going to the movies to escape the heat and revel in the experience with fellow movie-goers, it can get to be very expensive. My local AMC charges $10 for a movie. When you add popcorn, soda and parking to that, it's hard to get away for under 20 bucks a pop. My solution? Netflix. Pop your own popcorn- either air popped or on the stove (I stay away from microwave popcorn), add some fun seasonings and voila! You have yourself a summer night made in heaven. Here's my list of Best Summer Movies (completely subjective), followed by a couple Popcorn Seasoning Mixes to mix into your hot-popped bowl of corn. My favorite drink to go with popcorn is lemonade, but beer (or white wine spritzers) work for adults as well. Enjoy!


"Give my father a hearty soup, a can of beer and a bag of popcorn and he is as close to heaven as he can get." Nell Newman on her dad, Paul Newman.



Best Summer Movies



1) Jaws Scared me to death when it came out. The animated "Bruce" may seem antiquated compared to modern special effects, but I still think it's darn scary.

2) Vacation Chevy Chase, Beverly D'Angelo and the first set of kids still crack me up.

3) Caddyshack Ok, I like Chevy Chase. But I also like Ted Knight and Rodney Dangerfield in this classic golf comedy. The scene in the pool with the Baby Ruth is hilarious.

4) Little Mermaid/Finding Nemo One summer my daughter AJ watched The Little Mermaid every single day, sometimes twice a day. Eventually the tape wore out, but luckily the movie holds up. I also love Finding Nemo. Ellen DeGeneres is a hoot as Dory.

5) Dirty Dancing Another one of my daughter AJ's favorites. It may not be appropriate for younger children but who didn't want to be Baby to the hunky Johnny?

6) Grease Came out the summer I graduated from high school. Summer Lovin', had me a blast!

7) Now and Then/ Stand By Me Wasn't crazy about Now and Then when I first saw it at the movies, but changed my mind after watching it at home. Known as the girl's Stand By Me.

8) Live and Let Die Saw this in the summer of 1973 when James Bond's watch was a newfangled "digital". For me, James Bond will always be Roger Moore because of this flick. Set in the Caribbean and New Orleans; look for Jane Seymour as Solitaire.

9) Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark The first and, I think, best one of them all. Something happens every 8 minutes. How much more of an action movie can you get?

10) A League of Their Own/The Sandlot Girls baseball: "There's no crying in baseball" . Boy's baseball: "You play ball like a girl". Summertime hits the Sweet Spot in these two movies.


Honorable Mention:
The Flamingo Kid, Pirates of the Caribbean (the 1st), Splash, Men In Black, Independence Day.

* Popcorn recipes to follow.

No comments: