Saturday, June 12, 2010

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Spice Up Your Popcorn


Popcorn is the one food I can never say no to and that I can keep eating, until the point of practically puking. I must have popcorn when I go to the movies, but movie popcorn is expensive and super fattening. I have even been known to sneak my own popcorn into the movies. That, is the ultimate in cheapness, I admit. Here are some seasoning mixes to sprinkle into your popcorn as you sit down to watch your summer movies. If you want to spice up your popcorn, sprinkle some red pepper flakes into the oil before you heat it up. I also sometimes mix in additives- pretzels, peanuts, even m & m's- to my popcorn. The first time I saw Titanic at the movies, my tennis partner got a big ole bag of popcorn and dumped a box of Milk Duds into it. I thought "gross" but the hot and salty popcorn mixed with the melty, carmely chocolate and it was delicious. As Rachel Ray says "Yummo!"
Popcorn Seasoning Mixes

Cajun Style

2 teaspoons paprika

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon garlic powder

2 tablespoons salt

1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper

1 pinch cayenne


Southwestern Style

1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder

2 tablespoons salt

1 tablespoon ground cumin


Italian Style

1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1 tablespoon dried basil

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon fresh ground red pepper


Mix together and sprinkle on popcorn. Can be double or tripled. Keep the Italian one in the fridge, as it contains cheese.

No comments: