Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Buy Local Produce






My husband recently brought home a box of clementine oranges. One of them was complete mush and many others on the way to being mush, so I returned them to the grocery store. When I looked at the box, I discovered they were from Morocco. Why were we buying oranges shipped from Africa when we live in Florida, home to the best oranges (along with California) in the United States? Why indeed? In addition, the box of Clementines were $8.99! Very extravagant (as I said, my husband bought them) compared to $3.59 for oranges from Orlando, FLA. After buying a delicious melon the other day, my mother told me that the ones from California and Arizona were the best tasting. The ones from Chile or other South American countries, not as good. While I appreciate that there are certain fruits, like grapes and cherries, that we can buy out of season (because our winter is their summer and vice versa), I feel better buying seasonal fruit and, of course, better yet, from local farmers at a Farmers Market. Less carbon footprint and all that. Find out what is grown around you and try it in season. We have fat juicy strawberries down in Homestead that are incredible right now. It's even more fun to pick them yourself and enjoy a strawberry milkshake while you're there. That way your kids can discover how strawberries are grown and enjoy the "fruits" of their labor first hand. "Orange" you glad you did?

No comments: