Friday, March 12, 2010

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Be an Educated Eater



I'm going to lunch for a meeting today at Panera's Bread. Before I go, I looked up the nutrional information for the menu, online. That way I am aware of what I'm eating and how many calories I'm ingesting. It's not that you shouldn't "blow it" every now and then, but if I'm blowing it I want to know I'm blowing it and darn well enjoy it. I hate to order soup and a salad, think I'm being "good" and actually be eating more calories than I should all day. I'd rather eat a cheeseburger and french fries if I'm going to "blow it". Panera actually has some pretty good choices and I'm happy to learn that they are going to start posting nutritional information right at their restaurants in the near future. Some members of our tennis team met for lunch at P.F. Changs in December. I checked it out online before lunch and was armed to make intelligent food choices. I got the Steamed Vegetable dumplings (30 calories) and seared ahi tuna (312 calories) while someone else ordered spring rolls (350 calories), lettuce wraps (510) and a rice bowl whose nutrition info I can no longer find but almost passed out when I saw it. Granted, she shared the appetizers, but still. The last time I went to P.F. Changs I ordered the Chicken Lo Mein, which I thought was pretty healthy. 1620 calories! Never again will I walk into a mine field without a metal detector. Like an ad on TV used to say: "An Educated Consumer is our Best Customer". I am determined to lose 10 pounds by June 1st. My new slogan is: "Know it when you Blow It".

No comments: