Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Top 10 Christmas Albums


One of my favorite things to do in this hectic Christmas season is sit by our Christmas tree, with it's twinkling white lights, and listen to Christmas music. Sometimes I have a glass of vino, this morning it was a cup of coffee. I used to have a strict rule about "no Christmas music after Christmas", but I've loosened up a bit and figure until New Year's, it's okay. One Christmas, I spent eight hours in the car driving from Tallahassee to Miami and I think I heard every Christmas song ever known to man. The other day in the car, my 11 year old stepdaughter said "I hate when they don't sing the real song!" She was talking about all the covers of Christmas songs that are playing on the radio, but since she was born in 1998, the "real" songs for her were probably "covers" of originals. "Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas" is one of my favorite Christmas songs, originally sung by the great Judy Garland in "Meet Me in St. Louis", but it's been covered by everyone from Frank Sinatra to the Pretenders. I just found out that another favorite- "Christmas" (Baby Please Come Home) sung by U2 on A Very Special Christmas was sung before that by Bruce Springsteen. And I love the Boss's version of "Merry Christmas Baby" and "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town". Sometimes we end up loving the covers more than the originals. I make sure to buy a new Christmas album each year to add to my collection. This year I purchased Andrea Bocelli's "Christmas" and I think it's a keeper.
Here are my Top Ten:
1) A Charlie Brown Christmas by Vince Guaraldi
Charles Schultz credited the music in this special for making it so popular. This is my absolute favorite album- sometimes I will play it in the summer if I need cheering up.
2) A Very Special Christmas
The original and, I think, the best! Run DMC's "Christmas in Hollis" was one of my first exposures to rap. If you can call it that.
3) White Christmas Bing Crosby
A classic- love the movie too!
4) The Christmas Song Nat King Cole
What would Christmas be without Chestnuts roasting on an open fire?
5) Ally McBeal with Vonda Shepard
The TV series is gone, but the music lives on in this album my daughter gave me. Love it!
6) Kenny G Miracles
Not a big Kenny G fan, but digging this album's quiet holiday jazzy spirit. Perfect for sitting by
the fire with a hot toddy or wine.
7) Elvis's Christmas Album
I'll have a "Blue Christmas" without it.
8) The Nutcracker
I played this album to prepare my little daughter for the ballet. Unfortunately, she fell asleep
during the production but still love this classic fairy tale's tunes by Tchaikovsky.
9) Time Life Treasury of Christmas
Some great classics (and the Chipmunks) are included in this collection.
10) Merry Christmas from The Beach Boys
Perfect if you're spending the holidays in a tropical location.
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to all!

No comments: