Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Caroling


When you ask someone "Are you ready for Christmas?", usually what you're really asking is: "Are you done with your shopping?" Why do we correlate Christmas with shopping and presents? (and crowded malls and cranky shoppers?) Why indeed? Of course, there are other duties associated with Christmas- decorating, baking, sending Christmas cards, hosting parties, but most of our energy lies with buying, buying, buying. Maybe I keep thinking about this because I have done so little shopping (the Grannymobile is dead and we've been relying on one car), but I really object to the obsessive pressure to purchase. I am really thinking about the day when Christmas is just spent with family and friends and the gifts are not relevant. The day of Christmas, I am sometimes cranky because I didn't get what I wanted, it wasn't the right size or color and then I think about taking it back and having to fight the after-Christmas crowds. Really? Is that what Christmas is all about? I sound like a bratty child. And speaking of children, don't you find it disturbing...Kids ripping savagely into gift after gift, wrapping paper flying, not even getting to appreciate one gift while searching for the next, bigger, better, more promising one under the tree. I always tell my kids about Kathie Lee Gifford and how she only gave her children three gifts for Christmas- like the Wise Men. Of course, they moan and groan, but you would certainly savor those gifts if you only got three. Wouldn't it be wonderful and revolutionary NOT to shop for Christmas? To write thank you notes to people we appreciate, to spend time with them, to reflect on Christ and his meaning for the holidays? Some of my favorite Christmas memories are of caroling with my childhood friend Chrissy and my family around our neighborhood. We continued the tradition into our adulthood with caroling parties after we had children. Singing Christmas carols really puts me in the Christmas spirit and of course, once again, costs nothing. I watched Elf last night and he says "The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loudly for all to hear." I have to agree. So here we come a caroling... But I refuse to shop till I drop!

No comments: