Friday, July 13, 2012

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Fishy Fridays

Nicoise Salad

   You know how people do "Meatless Mondays?" I am going to start doing "Fishy Fridays", Growing up Catholic, we were not supposed to eat meat on Fridays in Lent. Even though I'm not Catholic anymore, I liked the idea of eating fish on Fridays so much I'm going to try and make it a year long thing. Fish is a wonderful food for dieters, because most varieties are low in calories and fat and it has a lot of protein. We have always been told that fish is "Brain Food" and it turns out, they were right. A recent study by the University of Pittsburgh using 260 participants, showed that people who eat broiled or baked fish at least once a week improved their brain health and cut the risk of developing memory problems or Alzheimer's disease.
   Yesterday (yes, I realize it was Thursday) I made a delicious Nicoise salad with tuna fish (in water), hard boiled eggs, green beans, cherry tomatoes, sliced onions, capers and romaine lettuce. I dressed it with a light dressing of lemon juice, 1 teaspoon olive oil, fresh thyme, oregano and basil leaves, 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard and a small squirt of anchovy paste, salt and fresh ground pepper. It was the perfect summer salad. Put on a little Edith Piaf and imagine you're sitting seaside at an outdoor table in Nice. During the HcG diet, I had a hard time eating salads with no oil in the dressing; it was just simply depressing. Now, I read that eating salads with oil in the dressing, allows you to absorb more of the good nutrients the lettuce and veggies have to offer, than those without. Good news for me! I am also lucky in that I have a brother in law who is an excellent fisherman and keeps me supplied with plenty of fresh fish. When he gives me more than we can eat, I wrap individual sized portions in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil and stick it in the freezer. Then, when I'm ready to eat, I take out as much as I need for dinner. Try to avoid farm raised fish, as they are often fed corn and do not offer all the health benefits of fish caught in the wild. Here's to Fishy Fridays!
Frozen Dolphin Filets

No comments: