Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Upsides to the Down Economy/ You Never Know



I always host the Valentine's Dinner for our supper club. This year was the fourth year. Last year, while planning my Wine Tasting Valentine's Dinner I got a little exasperated and discouraged about the whole thing and was ready to quit it. You know- same people, same thing, same old, same old. This year, however, I had a different attitude. Although I've had four dinners, no two has been the same and it's never been the same exact couples participating. On the first year (which actually fell on Valentine's Day) one of our couple got engaged. Last year, they were newlyweds and won the Newlywed Game. This year we asked the same guest couple as the first year. They came and had fun, but since the first time, his Dad had passed away, a big loss. One of the women in our supper club's father had also recently passed away (like a couple weeks before), and another one's Dad died a couple years ago, unexpectedly. Zeke (my husband) also lost his Dad last year, so I was thinking even if you have the same couples attending, in a way they are no longer the same because things change in our lives. So, when we were all sitting on the couch laughing loudly at a joke, I felt happy and grateful to know that we were all able to gather together, at this place and time. And now I just found out, that the wife of one of our regular couples has a brain tumor and is going to be operated on today. I am saying prayers for Frances, her surgery and speedy recovery and more than ever grateful that we go on with these traditions together, because you never know.

No comments: