Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Stuff Those Shells with Love













My Go-To Dinner to deliver to people that are sick or recovering is Cheese Stuffed Shells. Easy, homey, simple and delicious. I don't know why this has become what I make, but it has. I usually put a little Sandra Lee semi-homemade spin on it, as either the stuffed shells or the tomato sauce is usually store bought. If I have homemade sauce (my Grandmother's recipe), I buy the stuffed shells in the freezer section. If I don't make the sauce, I make the shells myself. The sauce, which I used today, reminds me of my grandmother's sauce. It is Sunday Marinara by Del Grosso. While it's somewhat more expensive than the normal Classico, they sometimes have BOBO offers, which makes it more reasonable. Also, $6 is a small price to pay for a sauce that usually takes hours to make and leaves me smelling like salt pork! I made the stuffed shells today for dinner for Frances, my friend who is recovering from surgery for a brain tumor. Luckily, she is doing as well as can be expected. As I beat the eggs, grated nutmeg and Locattelli cheese, picked parsley from my garden and chopped it up and stirred it all into the ricotta cheese with fresh grated mozzarella, I thought of Frances. Every shell I stuffed was filled with love. Another plus about this recipe is #1 It freezes well #2 There is usually enough to make two pans, so I have a pan left for my family. To round out the meal, I bought garlic bread, Caesar salad in a bag, gelato and cookies. Mamma Mia! Mangia!

No comments: