Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Upside to the Down Economy/ The Ultimate Packing List



Just wanted to give you a packing tip if you are going on a long trip (more than 10 days) and that is to choose mix and match items by choosing three or four colors as your basic palette, with one accent color. My mother employed a version of this when we were growing up, and the colors she choose were red, white and navy blue, so no matter what we pulled out of the drawer and put together, we didn't look too awful. This method of packing is sort of a Garanimals (if you had kids in the 80's you know what I'm talking about) for adults. The colors I choose for my two- week trip were black, white, khaki, navy blue and red. I went over the recommended amount of colors, but the point is, everything mixed and matched and I don't think I wore the same outfit twice! I also packed a big red purse, a small black purse and black flats, black high heels, black sandals, white flip flops and sneakers to go along with the theme. My sister Kelley restricted herself a little more, with black, red, white base colors and an accent of orange.



The last time we took a European trip, we tried sticking to Rick Steve's packing list, but it was extremely restrictive and included washing your underwear out in a sink. This might be fine for backpackers, but since we knew we were going to be on the ship for 11 days, we felt we could pack a little more, plus we needed outfits for three formal nights. I stuck mostly to solids and some stripes, with a multi-colored skirt thrown in for good measure. Let me tell you, a white shirt and khaki pants can get you through almost any travel adventure and you can always accessorise with scarfs and jewelery. Here's a photo of us from Venice, St. Mark's Square.

No comments: