Saturday, July 23, 2011

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Goodbye Borders, Hello Deals!









One company's closing, could be the customer's gain, if what I witnessed yesterday at Border's Books is any indication. Border's Book Stores are closing and liquidating all their merchandise. Even the tables and chairs that went in the cafes are for sale. Presently, items are 10-40%, which is not necessarily a great deal since they routinely offered 30-40% off coupons and sales anyway. But you would never have known this if you had gone there yesterday; I have never seen the parking lot and store so packed. My husband was looking at a $45 cookbook, but waiting for the price to fall (it was only 10% off). He asked the cashier if the prices would be reduced. She said they would, but did not have a time table of when that would happen. As for me, I got these two magazines for 40% off, which is a good deal that I've never seen before. I am sorry that Borders is closing, but comforted, in this age of Kindle, that people are still clamoring to purchase the printed word in actual paper form. Electronic devises have their place in our hustle and bustle world, but there's nothing like curling up with a good book and a cup of tea.

No comments: