Sunday, March 13, 2011

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Mon Chou Gross!




I'm so excited about my latest purchase, I had to blog about it! $2 for a HUGE head of cabbage at the Pinecrest Garden's Farmers market. Cabbage is already a cheap buy as far as vegetables go, and packs an excellent nutritional punch with Vitamins A, B, C, E and potassium. Cabbage is known for its cholesterol-lowering benefits (if steamed) and for cancer-fighting qualities if raw or cooked lightly. The cabbage I bought weighs in at almost 7 pounds! So, in addition to the cabbage that will go with my corned beef for St. Patty's Day, I will have enough for coleslaw, cabbage rolls and other possibilities. Will I make Kim-Chee with it? Or possibly put in a minestrone soup? Some other recipes that looked good, that I've never tried, are apple cabbage salad, with granny smiths or spiced Indian cabbage. Another plus for cabbage is that it lasts a long time. Let the cabbage feast begin!
"Having a good wife and rich cabbage soup, seek not other things."
Russian Proverb

No comments: