Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Don't Forget About These Cookies!







If I seem to be writing about food a lot lately, I have to blame it on the fact I'm reading a Julia Child biography- Appetite For Life. I'm at the part where she's living in Europe and most of her time was spent experimenting and perfecting recipes for her masterpiece- Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I actually got to hear her editor for that book- Judith Jones- speak at the Key West Literary Seminar in January. What a dynamo that woman is! At any rate, I just wanted to note that if you have a couple of egg whites left over (which I did after making Key Lime Pie the other night), you have the makings for an easy, delicious and low fat dessert- meringues. As an added bonus, the ingredients for these cookies/candies are very inexpensive and made with items found in most pantries. I've been making these for a long time and the kids always love them! The recipe comes from my torn, burnt and battered Fannie Farmer Cookbook, which I will never trade in because the new one has different recipes. Fannie Farmer is an excellent cookbook, for good, basic All American Fare. Be sure the egg whites are at room temperature before you begin and add the sugar very gradually so that they don't lose any volume.

Meringues

2 egg whites
8 T sugar, preferably superfine (put in blender for a couple seconds)
1 tsp. good vanilla

Preheat the oven to 250. Cover a cookie sheet with brown paper (like from a grocery bag) or parchment. Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry and add 6 T. of the sugar, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Add the vanilla and fold in the remaining 2 T. sugar. Shape the meringues on the cookie sheet with a pastry bag and tube or a spoon. Bake for 1 hour. Turn off the oven and let the meringues remain in the oven for 6 more hours. Don't open the oven door.

My husband's aunt called these "forgotten cookies", but don't forget they're in your oven when you go to pre-heat for another dish. I've cried over burnt meringues one too many times.

No comments: