Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Birthday Cards




I had two friends with birthdays this month, so I turned to my tried and true favorite gift- note cards. Before you say "How boring", these are not any old note cards. These are artistic, original note cards, personalized for the recipient with photographs I have taken. Similar to ones you probably have seen in gift shops or tourist stores, which sell for a couple bucks a pop. One of my friends who grew up in Miami, but has since moved to Naples, was celebrating the big "50". I wanted to do something special for her, so I drove around to places we used to frequent- Dante Fascell Park, Matheson Hammock, a bridge in Gables-By-The-Sea (our old neighborhood) and snapped shots. My secret to fabulous photographs is the fact that I take a lot of photos, but use only a small percentage. This inspired me to make some note cards for my other friend- Martha- whose birthday is tomorrow. She has a tiled sign outside her front gate announcing her house as "Martha's Vineyard". I snapped that, made ten copies (Snapfish) on glossy paper, affixed the photograph to blank note cards with rubber cement, signed the date and my name in pencil underneath the photo, paired it with the envelopes, wrapped it up and was good to go. I get my blank note cards at Micheal's- 50 for $10 (less with a coupon) and the prints are around 10 cents each, making my investment around 30 cents (if my math is correct) a card. I also make cards up of pretty Miami sites for people that are leaving town, or for birthday parties with tennis friends. It is the perfect, personal and creative gift that won't break the bank. And how did my friends like their cards? Well, let's put it this way Martha "loved, loved, loved them", told everyone about them and suggested I blog about them. So, here you go Martha- Voila! Happy happy Birthday!

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.