Saturday, January 22, 2011

Upsides to the Down Economy/ What Flavor Are You?







I went to the Coral Gables Farmer's Market this morning to browse around. There was a man there selling tomato plants and mango trees. While I was really tempted to buy a mango tree, before I shelled out my 25 bucks, I wanted to make sure my purchase is a variety of mango I like. Unfortunately, some of them can be stringy and taste like turpentine. When my Dad decided to plant a tree in his yard in Gables-By-The-Sea, he taste-tested about 16 different varieties. After months of this flavorful experiment, he finally decided on a variety he loved; it's still producing fruit. The other consideration I had is how big the tree is going to get. Hayden, according to the tree guy, grows very big, but I could probably plant a Glenn or Tommy Atkins. I want to find out what kind I like soon because I love mangoes! It will be added to my 2 lychee, 1 starfruit, 1 banana and 2 avocados trees and I will be living in a tropical fruit paradise.

No comments: