Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Three Wishes




When my husband and I were first dating and I had him over for dinner, the wine I served usually came from the $5 bin at the local grocery store. This was fine with him, since he was a beer drinker. I slowly converted him to wine drinking (don't know if it was the fine $5 wine or my influence) so now wine is our beverage of choice to drink with weekend dinners (although he still drinks beer for watching football). I usually spend under $10 for an everyday wine, if I can find one for $5, all the better. Wine Spectator has a list of good wines under $10, but they are hard to find in the grocery store. When we were in Whole Foods the other day, I found a display of wine in three varieties- Chardonnay, Cabernet and Merlot- for only $2.99! While most people have heard of Two Buck Chuck (Trader Sam's cheap wine), I had never heard of Three Wishes and loved the dandelion on the label. We tried the chardonnay and although it didn't taste much like chardonnay to me- it was sweeter and milder, not oaky or strong- it was certainly passable. It would be perfect to use in a white wine spritzer or to make white wine sangria. While I really enjoy savoring an excellent wine, for everyday drinking Three Wishes is worth a try. Although, wouldn't a genie on the bottle be a more appropriate logo?
White Sangria Cafe Tu Tu Tango
2 bottles white wine
5 oz (10 Tablespoons) 7-up
5 oz (10 Tablespoons) apple juice
5 oz (10 tablespoons) white grape juice
2 oz (3 Tablespoons) gin
2 oz (3 Tablespoons) Triple Sec
Cubed fresh fruit: oranges, limes and apples.
Mix all liquic ingredients well in a glass carafe. Pour over ice; top with fruit. Makes 11 drinks. For stronger version, slice fruit and soak in gin (or vodka) overnight.

No comments: