Monday, October 11, 2010

Upsides to the Down Economy/ The Zen of Rapberries


Raspberries. Lovely and delicious, but very perishable. As I was popping one into my mouth yesterday, I told my husband "Have a raspberry. They're only 10 calories each!" as I continued popping, mindlessly. And that was the problem. Mindlessly. Yes, they only have 10 calories, but if I pop ten of them, there's 100 calories and it's these extra "discretionary calories", ones we don't really need but eat anyway, that are preventing me from losing weight. Although if you have to spend those calories on some treat, fresh fruit is a pretty virtuous way to do it. For me, they are usually spent on a glass of white wine, or a piece of dark chocolate. I have been enjoying Lindt's Touch of Sea Salt lately. Sounds gross but is oh so good. But the point is, SAVOR that raspberry. Don't pop it. I always remember Oprah interviewing this lady who had been imprisoned unjustly and was released and she asked her what she missed most when she was in prison. Her answer? Fresh raspberries. So savor that little ten calorie raspberry as if you were in prison for ten years and were eating your first one after your release. If you don't like raspberries, eat blueberries... or whatever! You get my point.

No comments: