Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Fall Back




In South Florida, when Fall comes, you barely notice it. Then one day, the temperature drops slightly, it's not as sticky outside, stone crabs are back in season, and you know Fall has arrived. While very subtle, I have always noticed a difference to the angle of light outside in the Fall and Fall has always been my favorite season. New beginnings, football games, hot apple cider and reading The Scarlet Letter while waiting for the city bus to pick me up, are my memories of Fall. I think of how it was "in the old days", before air conditioning changed our lives and how much of our conversations revolved around the weather. Now we retreat to our chilled boxes when it gets too hot, but I'm sure in those days, a dip in the weather was a cause to rejoice. And it still is. That, and pumpkin recipes, good maple syrup, apples, fresh stone crabs, kids trick or treating and that certain angle of light outside this time of year. Celebrate Fall in all it's glory.

No comments: